Children need a wide variety of foods for a well-balanced diet. The amount of physical activity they have in a day will be an important part of how much they need to eat. When children are busy and active, snacking is important to keep energy levels high. A healthy meal during the day is key for young children to function sufficiently.
Here at Early Days Foods we do kids food the right way! That is why we have decided to compile this checklist for you as parents, to help ensure your kids are getting the correct nutrition they need while at nursery on a daily basis.
Breakfast is important
It is important to encourage breakfast for young kids. A good night’s sleep followed by food in the morning helps your child to stay active and concentrate at nursery. It also means your child is less likely to be too hungry during the morning and it can help improve energy levels. Be a role model and let your child see you eat breakfast too. A bowl of cereal with milk and fresh or stewed fruit is a great starter for the whole family.
This is where Early Days Foods play a key role in your kids daily food intake.
Many schools have a canteen that offers a range of food choices. Early Days Foods is one of Ireland’s premier Nursery food providers, with an extensive menu. Your kids can enjoy a healthy range of quality meals just like home without the extensive costs of preparing the food in-house. Our mission is to make mealtimes easy and healthy, one nursery at a time.
How to sign up in 6 simple steps:
- Give us a call: Give us a call or email, to organise a visit from one of out our senior kids food advisers.
- Site Visit: One of our senior kid’s food advisers will call out to chat with you about what meals would best suit you and your creche
- Trial Week: Give our food a try for a week with no obligation to see how much your kids will love a service like ours.
- Build a 4 week rolling menu: Work with us to build a nutritional 4 week rolling menu that you and your kids will love.
- Call us with your numbers: We like to work with our creches to build the best service for them, so you can call us every week as your numbers change so you only get the amount of food you need.
- Sit back and relax: Sit back and relax, as we deliver you nutritious meals each and every week so you don’t have to worry about what food your kids are getting.
Children of this age may have swings in appetite depending on activity levels, so allow them to choose how much they need to eat while offering a wide variety of healthy foods. Some children only eat small amounts at the evening meal, so make sure that the afternoon snack is nutritious, not just high in energy.
Snack suggestions include:
- A sandwich with a glass of milk
- Cereal and fruit
- A bowl of soup and toast.
For nursery children, family mealtimes are a chance to share and talk about the day’s activities. The evening meal together is an important time to do this.
Family mealtime suggestions include:
- Allow talk and sharing of daytime activities.
- Avoid distractions such as the television, radio or the telephone.
- Let your child decide when they are full – don’t argue about food.
- Allow children to help with preparing meals and shopping.
- Teach some simple nutrition facts such as ‘milk keeps your bones strong’.
- Children should be encouraged to drink plain water.
- Sweet drinks ls or fruit juice are not needed for a healthy diet and aren’t recommended.
- A glass of milk (or a tub of yogurt or slice of cheese) equals a serve of dairy food. Three serves are needed each day for calcium.
Exercise and activity
activity is an important part of good health. Try to encourage your child to do
something active each day, such as a hobby, play a game or be involved in sport.
Some parents may also worry about their child’s weight.
For nursery school children 30 minutes of activity is recommended each day, and no more than two hours of watching TV, DVDs or computer games.
To increase your child’s activity, try to:
- Limit the amount of time spent watching television for the whole family.
- Do something physical and active together.
- Go and watch your child play sports.
- Encourage daily activity, not just exercise.
Healthy tips for nursery-aged children
- Children need a variety of different foods each day.
- Snacks are an important part of a healthy diet for active children.
- Snacks should be nutritious, not just high in energy.
- Plan to share meals as a family.
- Enjoy talking and sharing the day’s happenings at mealtimes.
- Let children tell you when they’re full.
- Let children help with food preparation and meal planning.
- Encourage physical activities for the whole family.
- Encourage children to drink plain water.
If you would like to speak to our experts or see how we as a company can help you, please contact us on: ROI: 042 942 4069 / NI: 028 4175 2500